New

Akriotou Orivatis Wild Old Vine Savatiano 2019

AOWS19

New product

A wildly expressive and complex wine, full of lemon, honeysuckle, peach, melon and buttery aromas. Textured and creamy, with concentrated layers of citrus fruit, wet stone, nuances of bread and a delicious honey note through to a long, intense finish.

More details

£14.49

RRP: £15.99 (save 9%)

- +

Winery: Akriotou

Sold by the case of 6 bottles
 
More info

The grapes are sourced from a single vineyard called ‘Gouriona', located in Plataea, a small village at the foot of the Kitheronas Mountain, in Central Greece. The vineyard is situated at an altitude of 250 to 320 metres elevation and during the autumn and winter months cool air masses blow down from the mountains, carrying dew which refreshes the vineyard with crucial humidity. Cold winters, hot summers and long, dry autumns combine with long periods of sunshine to enable the grapes to reach excellent maturity and complexity. The Savatiano variety is suited to the hot, dry climate as it has excellent drought resistant properties. The grapes for this wine come from old vines of 60 to 65 years, which are pruned according to the traditional Gobelet style and produce low yields of concentrated fruit. Harvest takes place at night, contributing to the preservation of varietal aromas and natural acidity.

After careful selection, 85% of grapes were destemmed; the remaining 15% were left as whole bunches to impart complexity. The fruit underwent cold maceration for 48 hours with skin contact. The temperature was gently increased and fermentation started with natural yeast in stainless tanks, which was controlled at 14°C. Bâtonnage of the fine lees took place twice weekly for three months and then fortnightly for 17 months. The wine matured for 21 months in total. Bottled without fining or filtration, to highlight the depth and potential of this indigenous variety.

 
Data sheet
RRP £15.99
Vintage 2019
Alcoholic strength 12.5%
Awards Gold, Berliner, 2021
Country Greece
Region Sterea Ellada
Grapes Savatiano 100%
Dry/Sweet value 1
Contains sulphites Yes
Vegetarian Yes
Vegan Yes
Milk No
Eggs No
Organic No
Biodynamic No
Closure Diam
 
Akriotou

Vasiliki Akriotou is an oenologist with over 20 years’ experience in the wine industry. In 2015, she created her first range of wines from a micro-winery in the heart of Greece, which reflected her philosophy of winemaking. The vineyards are situated among the snow-capped mountains at altitudes of 280 to 380 metres above sea level. The range includes Ορειβάτης, which translates as the ‘Mountaineer’ made from Savatiano, which recognises the steep, challenging terrain. This sublime, premium range of wines made from old vines of native grapes, is a true expression of this fresh mountainous terroir.

Trusted Shops Reviews

30 other products in the same category:

Menu

Settings